Presumably, the FONDA COMA already existed in Ordino at the end of the 19th century in the hands of Bonaventura Coma Riba (from Casa Ramonguem) and his wife, Maria Antonia Pintat Moles, from Meritxell. Bonaventura was a hotelier, farmer, porter and a very good businessman. He had a lot of cattle (cows, horses, mules, …) and he attended all the fairs in the area. He brought merchandise from Spain every week which he sold at the Fonda and, as if that wasn’t enough, he took the time to guide the hunters from Barcelona. The comfortable saddles he used to transport the ladies of the Areny-Plandolit family, which he collected in Seu d’Urgell, after being notified by mail, are anecdotally remembered.
The “Fonda Coma” was the only one in the area and was located near the church. Despite its small size, it was a perfect arrangement, because on the ground floor you could find a shop with all kinds of equipment and food (including hunting meat …) or taste the succulent dishes that the owner of the establishment prepared on charcoal stoves and with clay pots, especially when hunting and gathering mushrooms.
The occupancy rate was such that sometimes mattresses were placed on the floor or beds were installed in the stable. We took turns eating at a long, busy table so that the new arrivals were as close as possible to the fireplace to relieve them of the harsh winter cold.
In 1913, Bonaventura Coma Pintat, son of the owners, married María Coma Areny and from this union five daughters were born: Rosita, María, Ventureta, Mercé and Carolina.